|Kathy getting traps ready - these cats are hungry!|
If you are thinking about this volunteer position, here are some things you need to have and to consider:
- A vehicle that the traps can be transported in. A pick up will work if cats are covered and can be bungie corded in for their safety. Kathy and Lois use an SUV...details of how to protect the floor of your car will be provided in training
- Time: Trappings take time and patience. You will need time to get all arrangements made with the vet and property owner. Would need to be sure everyone understands your needs that will make the trapping a success and make it easy for the cats to endure. Time spent trapping and transporting can take from early morning to mid day, depending on where the location is and how many cats are trapped. More details on this at training.
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 35-40 one way to the location of the cats and transport to Harlan or Malvern Ia (whichever is closest). Wait for cats to get surgery and return to location after appropriate recovery time to release.
- Willingness or abillity to "house" the trapped cats in a garage or shed overnight or for appropriate recovery time before release. Cat's could be "housed" at Kathy's in Walnut if needed.
- Ability to lift traps empty and full, into and out of vehicle. Could be 20 pounds each
- Ability to work well with Vet Staff and property owners. Kathy would do all the scheduling and authorizing of funding, but working with the property owners and vet to schedule timing of trapping etc would be your responsibility. This keeps the "middle man" out of the picture and you can schedule to your, the property owner and the vets availability. Details of this will be provided at training.
- All traps and any other equipment you need will be provided by WIFCaP. WIFCaP will also provide gas money as it is available. A special fund has been set up for donations specific to that purpose.
|All trapped and ready to load!|